Skip to main content

A Spanish Experience with Koplad/Uni2

Team Presentation


I am writing this blog on the eve of what should be my second race, but will actually be my first.
Today's planned season opener in Zumaia resulted in a DNS (did not start), due to my Spanish
medical certificate being stuck in an office in Bilbao. Hopefully it will be resolved for the race
tomorrow, otherwise I will be sorely disappointed. The largest reason for being in Spain is to race one of the best amateur circuits in the World, so it is incredibly frustrating to be standing on the sidelines.

Apart from this hiccup, I have been extremely pleased with my time in the Basque country. The
club (Koplad/Uni2) has been extremely welcome and the organisation is terrific. If only there was a similar system for young riders in Britain. I am living in a house with an Argentinian rider, which is paid for by the club and serves as a base for the riders who come from all over Spain. They arrive on Friday evening for the races, and return to University during the week. It is the norm to do a university degree and race; there is no need to sacrifice your education for an opportunity to turn professional. The club is funded by independent sponsors, and also by the local town, Sopelana. They have a youth, junior, under-23, professional women’s sections and they are all supported with varying levels of kit, bikes, and race support. There is also a club building in Sopelana which serves as a service course.


Team Service Course

This just wouldn't be possible in Britain. The most obvious reason is that there is simply not the
same passion (and the resulting funding) for road cycling that there is in this region of Spain. Last Sunday their were more cyclists on the road than cars, and the vast majority were two abreast. More passion means bigger, better races, and a more attractive sport for young athletes. Another reason is that it is virtually impossible to entertain thoughts of gaining a valuable degree from a British university, and a season of European Amateur racing required to progress. Perhaps the degrees are more intensive and higher quality than in Spain, or perhaps the universities are not willing to accommodate for cyclists in the same way they are for rugby or hockey. I personally feel that riders should not be full-time until they turn professional. Either studying or working during one's amateur career has many advantages. Firstly it prevents burning out due to over-training, and gives some balance to a young rider's lifestyle. It also provides them with more education, skills, or even money, to contribute to their life after cycling. It provides a more level playing field for those wishing to turn professional but without the money to or contacts to pursue their dream. To a certain extent, amateurs do not deserve to be full time, essentially living off charity from generous sponsors, until they have proved themselves and turned professional (of course there will be exceptions). This is my experience, as a current full time amateur.

Diego, my Argentine Team mate, models the Koplad Uni2 kit and bike

The training here is proving to be very good, if you are not too bothered about rain. The area is very rolling with occasional longer climbs of around 5 kilometres. This suits my characteristics quite well, and the temperature is warmer than England. I just need to keep a check on my weight, as having a kitchen ajoining my bedroom is a never-ending distraction. I am around 2 kilos over my race weight (not overweight), so its not a big deal for early in the season. I am setting new personal bests for power output which is very satisfying; I now hate riding without my powertap. My O-rings, powertap, stretching, sleeping, and eating regime are providing much entertainment for my Old-school Spanish and Argentinian team mates. On the whole, the UK is certainly more clued about about modern training methods. In fact everything feels a little backwards over here, mainly due to the scarcity of internet connection.

The biggest transition has been the amount of free time on my hands. Training is usually finished at one or two o'clock, leaving the entire afternoon and evening to fill with eating, stretching, shopping, and amusing myself. I find myself eating all the time, which is never a good idea. I am jealous of Diego, my Argentine team mate, who seems to be able to completely switch off and relax. In my free time I have been learning Spanish, writing a diary, learning Spanish League football, and reading lots. I wish I brought FIFA.......

Let's see how my race tomorrow goes! I am feeling very motivated after the screw-up today and watching Het Niewsblad.


Sandy

It rains just as much in the Basque Country

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Travels

July started well with my first half-decent race for months. I took part in the Guildford Town centre Criterium on Wednesday night. A tiny circuit featuring a patchy tarmac descent and a sharp cobbled climb with little in between. As soon as I started I realized there was no way I was going to keep up the sterling track record of cyclefit employees (Warwick) in the race. I got stronger as the race went on though and I didn't crash -always important as my confidence was pretty low. Jon Dibben did a great ride as per usual. I drove home optimistic that my season was turning around with my new pedalling technique (no pun intended). Next up in July was the Cyclefit Etape Trip. Me and Stuart (brother) drove the Clio down to Pau in the Pyrenees and met Jules and Konrad (or Konradiator as he later become known). Due to the efficiency of the French Motorways, we made it there pretty fresh and with only 3 speeding offences (2 in Bordeaux alone). Our first job was the Expo which involved ...

Lazy Blogging..

Hi guys, I apologize for not updating in a long time. It is always irritating when people have out of date websites. The excuse is that I have been pretty busy, and also quite disheartened about my cycling. But I think I have turned a new stone and now everything's smooth sailing...or riding perhaps. After my race in Singapore I had a couple of local races, and my knee just didn't hold up under pressure. It was buckling under the increased intensity and I was pretty upset after all the work I had done with my physio, and I thought after a good few months I was over it. This kept going on in a weekly cycle. I would train and condition my leg during the week and then be smashed in the races because I just couldn't put any power down. Needless to say my motivation kept declining, along with my fitness, for around 2 months After an awesome family holiday in Morocco (that can come in the next blog) and a serious discussion with my coach, its looking more positive. I think I may...

National Junior Road Championships

Yesterday was the National Junior Road Race championships, one of my main goals for this second half of the season and probably a lot of other riders'. The race was being run by Doug Collins, famous Twickenham CC member and ex-pro rider, and he had chosen a brutally hard course that would certainly split the field of 86 starters to smithereens! I did a recce of the course last weekend in the rain and was in 39-26 on some sections. I was looking forward to it though as I am pretty good on the climbs and my stamina is good. It was also my Dad's birthday so I was extra motivated to do a good ride so as not to waste the day.  The race started with me skipping my chain on the first climb. I had to hop off and put it back on but was soon back in the bunch after a kilometre or so. My plan for the first part of the race was to sit back and conserve my energy. A break got away with a few dangerous riders, Erick Rowsell and Tim Kennaugh, but no one else so I knew they would be easy to ca...