Skip to main content

Mi Primero Carrerra


Nothing is duller than reading someone's blow by blow account of a race, so in regard to my
first race in the Basque Country, I will try to keep it brief and interesting!

The weather in Soraluce was the same as most of Europe on Sunday, very wet and cold. I was
dressed (as well as normal racing gear) in a long sleeve thermal under-vest, knee warmers,
overshoes, and rain cape, but there were still the diehards out in shorts and jerseys. It was no
surprise that I didn't see them at the finish. It was a relatively short U23 race at only 120 kilometres, however it finished with two, very steep, three kilometre climbs, with a summit finish. I was suffering terribly from nerves all morning and before the start. David Extebarria (directeur sportif and ex-pro), kept reminding me 'tranquilo, tranquilo...'.

These worries soon disappeared when the race started as battling the cold took all my
concentration. After shivering for 100 kilometres, I entered the first climb in the peloton, and
crossed the summit in 6th position feeling confident. A front group of around 20 formed after the descent, with a team called Seguros Bilbao driving the pace. I was caught unawares at the rear of the group for the start of the last 3 kilometre climb. As the group fragmented I found myself picking through riders who had gone too far into the red, and finished 7th at the line. To see the report follow this link- http://www.palcodeportivo.com/index.php/ciclismo/amateur/10739-1oprueba-lehendakari.html

So what's it like to race in Spain? My biggest surprise was seeing that the leading riders over
the climbs were not all 60 kilo, ripped, Pantani look-a-likes. There was a large mix of body types, with the winner being a similar build to me. The racing felt no where near as fast as my experiences in Italy or Belgium, especially on the flat. Albeit it is very early season and this was only an U23 race. It was certainly far safer than Belgium and I only saw one crash. The race organisation was as professional as Italy, however the crowds were not as large.

During my moments of mind wandering, I was particularly impressed with the colours of the jerseys. The Spaniards thrash the British in the fashion stakes. The green of the Caja Rural Squad was particularly striking, but the grey and red of Seguros Bilbao was very edgy. I was particularly jealous of the Cole carbon wheels that Caja Rural were riding; especially up the last climb when I was lugging up my dead powertap on a Mavic Open pro rim. There is more loyalty to local bike manufacturers in Spain. Almost everyone is on a BH or Orbea, however there are also a large contigent of Pinarellos.

Today I recced the course for next Saturday´s race in Ereno. Thank god its only 100 kilometres, as it is the hardest course I have ever ridden. I just wish I had my Serotta with some race wheels........

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Travels

July started well with my first half-decent race for months. I took part in the Guildford Town centre Criterium on Wednesday night. A tiny circuit featuring a patchy tarmac descent and a sharp cobbled climb with little in between. As soon as I started I realized there was no way I was going to keep up the sterling track record of cyclefit employees (Warwick) in the race. I got stronger as the race went on though and I didn't crash -always important as my confidence was pretty low. Jon Dibben did a great ride as per usual. I drove home optimistic that my season was turning around with my new pedalling technique (no pun intended). Next up in July was the Cyclefit Etape Trip. Me and Stuart (brother) drove the Clio down to Pau in the Pyrenees and met Jules and Konrad (or Konradiator as he later become known). Due to the efficiency of the French Motorways, we made it there pretty fresh and with only 3 speeding offences (2 in Bordeaux alone). Our first job was the Expo which involved ...

Lazy Blogging..

Hi guys, I apologize for not updating in a long time. It is always irritating when people have out of date websites. The excuse is that I have been pretty busy, and also quite disheartened about my cycling. But I think I have turned a new stone and now everything's smooth sailing...or riding perhaps. After my race in Singapore I had a couple of local races, and my knee just didn't hold up under pressure. It was buckling under the increased intensity and I was pretty upset after all the work I had done with my physio, and I thought after a good few months I was over it. This kept going on in a weekly cycle. I would train and condition my leg during the week and then be smashed in the races because I just couldn't put any power down. Needless to say my motivation kept declining, along with my fitness, for around 2 months After an awesome family holiday in Morocco (that can come in the next blog) and a serious discussion with my coach, its looking more positive. I think I may...

National Junior Road Championships

Yesterday was the National Junior Road Race championships, one of my main goals for this second half of the season and probably a lot of other riders'. The race was being run by Doug Collins, famous Twickenham CC member and ex-pro rider, and he had chosen a brutally hard course that would certainly split the field of 86 starters to smithereens! I did a recce of the course last weekend in the rain and was in 39-26 on some sections. I was looking forward to it though as I am pretty good on the climbs and my stamina is good. It was also my Dad's birthday so I was extra motivated to do a good ride so as not to waste the day.  The race started with me skipping my chain on the first climb. I had to hop off and put it back on but was soon back in the bunch after a kilometre or so. My plan for the first part of the race was to sit back and conserve my energy. A break got away with a few dangerous riders, Erick Rowsell and Tim Kennaugh, but no one else so I knew they would be easy to ca...