Skip to main content

Seriously Early Season


I have returned to the Hillingdon (Imperial) Winter Series this year after a 3 year hiatus. Taking place over the grim months of December, January, and February, it makes the pros racing the Tour Down under look pretty damn lackadaisical. Bear in mind, I did miss all of last season due to a knee injury, so my enthusiasm to race is far larger than most roadies. Still not as large as Jake Martin though (www.bikejake.wordpress.com), who seems to have done every circuit race in the south from October to February and still acts like an excited school girl at the start line.

My first winter series was quite memorable for me. It was my first winter racing in the UK, and I had recently joined Twickenham CC. My two cycling 'compadres' at the time were Jamie Atkins and Ollie Newlan. Jamie was a swimmer, cyclist, and budding wordsmith who is now studying politics (or history?) at Aberdeen. Ollie was a scrum half turned cyclist, and has recently returned to cycling and will spend next season duking it out in Belgium before heading off to Uni. All of us were starting out and were receiving guidance and support from the legendary Graham Macnamee. Training consisted of a turbo session at the club on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Hillingdon all day on Saturday, and the club ride on Sunday (always finished with a Calzone at Angelo's).


Our mission for that winter series was to beat Michael Wilmot of Hillingdon Slipstreamers. He was the same age and had a formidable sprint and good endurance- a tricky combination to beat on a flat circuit. Ollie, Jamie, and I all had appalling sprints, so the only way to win was to work him over. It took us until the last few races in the series to realize this, and to have the physical strength to pull it off. At times it got quite heated, and I distinctly remember being pushed into the bushes on the final corner, but I think each of us got one victory.

In comparison, this year's series has been very civilized for me. I know Jake Martin had a little 'fisticuffs' with his former team in the sprint last week. Observations? Wouter Sybrandy is stupidly strong, and no rain so far! I have been picking up the top places, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, but am still suffering of a complete lack of sprint prowess (4 years and 10 kilos on). Strangely enough, the same guy that won the Elite series when I was riding my first youth races, is about to win the series again (Lewis Atkins- picture in blue above).

Maybe next week the other riders will let me slip away for the win?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Travels

July started well with my first half-decent race for months. I took part in the Guildford Town centre Criterium on Wednesday night. A tiny circuit featuring a patchy tarmac descent and a sharp cobbled climb with little in between. As soon as I started I realized there was no way I was going to keep up the sterling track record of cyclefit employees (Warwick) in the race. I got stronger as the race went on though and I didn't crash -always important as my confidence was pretty low. Jon Dibben did a great ride as per usual. I drove home optimistic that my season was turning around with my new pedalling technique (no pun intended). Next up in July was the Cyclefit Etape Trip. Me and Stuart (brother) drove the Clio down to Pau in the Pyrenees and met Jules and Konrad (or Konradiator as he later become known). Due to the efficiency of the French Motorways, we made it there pretty fresh and with only 3 speeding offences (2 in Bordeaux alone). Our first job was the Expo which involved ...

Lazy Blogging..

Hi guys, I apologize for not updating in a long time. It is always irritating when people have out of date websites. The excuse is that I have been pretty busy, and also quite disheartened about my cycling. But I think I have turned a new stone and now everything's smooth sailing...or riding perhaps. After my race in Singapore I had a couple of local races, and my knee just didn't hold up under pressure. It was buckling under the increased intensity and I was pretty upset after all the work I had done with my physio, and I thought after a good few months I was over it. This kept going on in a weekly cycle. I would train and condition my leg during the week and then be smashed in the races because I just couldn't put any power down. Needless to say my motivation kept declining, along with my fitness, for around 2 months After an awesome family holiday in Morocco (that can come in the next blog) and a serious discussion with my coach, its looking more positive. I think I may...

National Junior Road Championships

Yesterday was the National Junior Road Race championships, one of my main goals for this second half of the season and probably a lot of other riders'. The race was being run by Doug Collins, famous Twickenham CC member and ex-pro rider, and he had chosen a brutally hard course that would certainly split the field of 86 starters to smithereens! I did a recce of the course last weekend in the rain and was in 39-26 on some sections. I was looking forward to it though as I am pretty good on the climbs and my stamina is good. It was also my Dad's birthday so I was extra motivated to do a good ride so as not to waste the day.  The race started with me skipping my chain on the first climb. I had to hop off and put it back on but was soon back in the bunch after a kilometre or so. My plan for the first part of the race was to sit back and conserve my energy. A break got away with a few dangerous riders, Erick Rowsell and Tim Kennaugh, but no one else so I knew they would be easy to ca...