Skip to main content

Power Test Time

Good News! For what must be the umpteenth post where I have told you I have solved my knee issue, this time it has come true! Just wish I had done it earlier, but surgery sounds so dramatic at 19.

I have been back in training for about a month now and just got a power meter. I greatly prefer training with these, otherwise I spend the whole time reeming myself and crawling back home at 15mph. It takes all the guesswork out of interval training as well. I just wish the guys at powermeters.com could true a wheel properly, as without fail, all my 3 wheels have buckled on the second ride. I did my power profile test last Monday and Wednesday, after a weekends rest at the Ghent six day. Saturday night was horrible as I got hammered for the first time. What a crap experience. Why do people love doing this all the time?

The important numbers below are the 20 minute power (FTP), 5 min power, 1 minute power, and 5 second power. I did the threshold test on Monday which determined 20 minute and 5 minute power. I did the power test today to figure out the 5 second and 1 minute power. I did the 5 second sprints at the end of the test, but still, the figures are abysmal for this and the 1 minute test! I am pleased with the FTP (functional threshold power) and 5 minute power as I am 3 kilos over race weight and just come off a knee injury.


Here is a power profile devised by power coach Hunter Allen. It shows quite clearly a rider's strengths and weaknesses. I think that once I am conditioned the 5 minute and FTP power will rise into domestic pro level by the end of the year, but I suspect my sprint and 1 minute test will always be poor. I think I will focus on my strengths. If anyone is interested in comparing themselves to the pros they should have a look at www.sportscientists.com as they have some great analysis. For the short version though, the top GC contenders nowadays have a FTP of around 6 at the Tour De France; past dopers have measured to be almost 7.
Here I am about 10 days before putting out a 3:12 effort up Crimp Hill for the club hill climb champs. I did a 3:09 last year on inferior equipment with my dodgy knee, so still lots of work to be done fitness wise. My brother did a great ride, 3:19 for a rugby player! Maybe he needs to switch sports.
Next year is still undecided but will be settled soon, I'll keep you posted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Travels

July started well with my first half-decent race for months. I took part in the Guildford Town centre Criterium on Wednesday night. A tiny circuit featuring a patchy tarmac descent and a sharp cobbled climb with little in between. As soon as I started I realized there was no way I was going to keep up the sterling track record of cyclefit employees (Warwick) in the race. I got stronger as the race went on though and I didn't crash -always important as my confidence was pretty low. Jon Dibben did a great ride as per usual. I drove home optimistic that my season was turning around with my new pedalling technique (no pun intended). Next up in July was the Cyclefit Etape Trip. Me and Stuart (brother) drove the Clio down to Pau in the Pyrenees and met Jules and Konrad (or Konradiator as he later become known). Due to the efficiency of the French Motorways, we made it there pretty fresh and with only 3 speeding offences (2 in Bordeaux alone). Our first job was the Expo which involved ...

Lazy Blogging..

Hi guys, I apologize for not updating in a long time. It is always irritating when people have out of date websites. The excuse is that I have been pretty busy, and also quite disheartened about my cycling. But I think I have turned a new stone and now everything's smooth sailing...or riding perhaps. After my race in Singapore I had a couple of local races, and my knee just didn't hold up under pressure. It was buckling under the increased intensity and I was pretty upset after all the work I had done with my physio, and I thought after a good few months I was over it. This kept going on in a weekly cycle. I would train and condition my leg during the week and then be smashed in the races because I just couldn't put any power down. Needless to say my motivation kept declining, along with my fitness, for around 2 months After an awesome family holiday in Morocco (that can come in the next blog) and a serious discussion with my coach, its looking more positive. I think I may...

National Junior Road Championships

Yesterday was the National Junior Road Race championships, one of my main goals for this second half of the season and probably a lot of other riders'. The race was being run by Doug Collins, famous Twickenham CC member and ex-pro rider, and he had chosen a brutally hard course that would certainly split the field of 86 starters to smithereens! I did a recce of the course last weekend in the rain and was in 39-26 on some sections. I was looking forward to it though as I am pretty good on the climbs and my stamina is good. It was also my Dad's birthday so I was extra motivated to do a good ride so as not to waste the day.  The race started with me skipping my chain on the first climb. I had to hop off and put it back on but was soon back in the bunch after a kilometre or so. My plan for the first part of the race was to sit back and conserve my energy. A break got away with a few dangerous riders, Erick Rowsell and Tim Kennaugh, but no one else so I knew they would be easy to ca...