Skip to main content

Out in Italy

Well I didn't have the ideal start to my European trip. Last Thursday was course recon for Roubaix and I was feeling good. Andy Fenn was in good form and looking powerful when we did the first 120K . Following a couple of easy days Sunday came around pretty quick. Everything was in place; I had gorged myself at the hotel all week and the bikes were all prepped. It was raining at the start so everyone was nervous. Hitting the first sector wet was going to be carnage.

It dried up as we approached the cobbles and turned out to be dusty. I was well placed and hit the first 3 sectors in the top 20 and held my position. Coming into the following sector I ended up piling into a French guy who slid out and was taken out from behind. I punctured my front wheel, bashed my knee and destroyed my helmet and tried to chase. By the time I got out of the pave the whole convoy was out of sight and we kept chasing for another 10k before the broomwagon 'swept' us up. I was really dissapointed and felt even worse when Max said I could have got back on as it really slowed up. Ah well at least I will know for next time. Team USA had 5 guys in the broomwagon, so I guess they felt worse.

Now I am in Quarratta, Italy staying in the Academy house. We've got a race this weekend which I'm pretty excited about and after that I'm not sure what is going to happen. I managed to slip out on a bend yesterday and split open my chin; needing 3 stiches. I'm pretty bruised and battered but I felt alright today on the bike and the weather has been good. I'll try and get some pictures for the blog soon...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Travels

July started well with my first half-decent race for months. I took part in the Guildford Town centre Criterium on Wednesday night. A tiny circuit featuring a patchy tarmac descent and a sharp cobbled climb with little in between. As soon as I started I realized there was no way I was going to keep up the sterling track record of cyclefit employees (Warwick) in the race. I got stronger as the race went on though and I didn't crash -always important as my confidence was pretty low. Jon Dibben did a great ride as per usual. I drove home optimistic that my season was turning around with my new pedalling technique (no pun intended). Next up in July was the Cyclefit Etape Trip. Me and Stuart (brother) drove the Clio down to Pau in the Pyrenees and met Jules and Konrad (or Konradiator as he later become known). Due to the efficiency of the French Motorways, we made it there pretty fresh and with only 3 speeding offences (2 in Bordeaux alone). Our first job was the Expo which involved ...

Lazy Blogging..

Hi guys, I apologize for not updating in a long time. It is always irritating when people have out of date websites. The excuse is that I have been pretty busy, and also quite disheartened about my cycling. But I think I have turned a new stone and now everything's smooth sailing...or riding perhaps. After my race in Singapore I had a couple of local races, and my knee just didn't hold up under pressure. It was buckling under the increased intensity and I was pretty upset after all the work I had done with my physio, and I thought after a good few months I was over it. This kept going on in a weekly cycle. I would train and condition my leg during the week and then be smashed in the races because I just couldn't put any power down. Needless to say my motivation kept declining, along with my fitness, for around 2 months After an awesome family holiday in Morocco (that can come in the next blog) and a serious discussion with my coach, its looking more positive. I think I may...

National Junior Road Championships

Yesterday was the National Junior Road Race championships, one of my main goals for this second half of the season and probably a lot of other riders'. The race was being run by Doug Collins, famous Twickenham CC member and ex-pro rider, and he had chosen a brutally hard course that would certainly split the field of 86 starters to smithereens! I did a recce of the course last weekend in the rain and was in 39-26 on some sections. I was looking forward to it though as I am pretty good on the climbs and my stamina is good. It was also my Dad's birthday so I was extra motivated to do a good ride so as not to waste the day.  The race started with me skipping my chain on the first climb. I had to hop off and put it back on but was soon back in the bunch after a kilometre or so. My plan for the first part of the race was to sit back and conserve my energy. A break got away with a few dangerous riders, Erick Rowsell and Tim Kennaugh, but no one else so I knew they would be easy to ca...