Skip to main content

OCBC Criterium- Singapore

After an torturous 15 hour journey, we were greeted in Singapore with 35 degree heat and 5 start hotels, it was worth it! Before I launch into a full on report, i've written another blog for the enduraracing website so that should be up soon. I'll just add some of my personal experiences.

The build up to the race involved eating lots of really nice food and drinking shed loads of electroylte drink (everyone who went to this race MUST of gained weight!). The two pre-race rides we did were certainly a new experience to riding in England. I felt pretty good and well rested for both of the rides even with some serious jetlag. On the second ride there were a few egos swinging about and people started scraping up the sides of buses and jumping red lights just to stay on the group!

The actual race went well for me despite the result. I screwed up the final sprint a little and I could have probably scraped a top 15, but I'm no bunch sprinter. I was more involved in the early moves. The best report is on this link.

http://www.cyclingnewsasia.com/en/road/35-general/490-singapore-ocbc-cycle-singapore-big-ben-kersten-takes-it

I got back really early Monday with some serious jetlag. I also managed to pick up another cold virus on the plane. My throat is really sore and I feel really bad, hopefully I will be good for the weekend which is Roy Thame Cup and Jock Wadley. My resting HR was 50 on Tuesday morning and 44 this morning, so the signs point to recovery (resting is 41). Its getting really frustrating it feels like I have had almost a month of low intensity riding because of my 2 colds, and travel. Guess I've got to rely on my fitness I built over the winter.

My next big aims are the Cicle Classic, where I hope the team can repeat Wilko's win from last year, and the Rhone Alpes Isere Tour in Mid May.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Travels

July started well with my first half-decent race for months. I took part in the Guildford Town centre Criterium on Wednesday night. A tiny circuit featuring a patchy tarmac descent and a sharp cobbled climb with little in between. As soon as I started I realized there was no way I was going to keep up the sterling track record of cyclefit employees (Warwick) in the race. I got stronger as the race went on though and I didn't crash -always important as my confidence was pretty low. Jon Dibben did a great ride as per usual. I drove home optimistic that my season was turning around with my new pedalling technique (no pun intended). Next up in July was the Cyclefit Etape Trip. Me and Stuart (brother) drove the Clio down to Pau in the Pyrenees and met Jules and Konrad (or Konradiator as he later become known). Due to the efficiency of the French Motorways, we made it there pretty fresh and with only 3 speeding offences (2 in Bordeaux alone). Our first job was the Expo which involved ...

Lazy Blogging..

Hi guys, I apologize for not updating in a long time. It is always irritating when people have out of date websites. The excuse is that I have been pretty busy, and also quite disheartened about my cycling. But I think I have turned a new stone and now everything's smooth sailing...or riding perhaps. After my race in Singapore I had a couple of local races, and my knee just didn't hold up under pressure. It was buckling under the increased intensity and I was pretty upset after all the work I had done with my physio, and I thought after a good few months I was over it. This kept going on in a weekly cycle. I would train and condition my leg during the week and then be smashed in the races because I just couldn't put any power down. Needless to say my motivation kept declining, along with my fitness, for around 2 months After an awesome family holiday in Morocco (that can come in the next blog) and a serious discussion with my coach, its looking more positive. I think I may...

National Junior Road Championships

Yesterday was the National Junior Road Race championships, one of my main goals for this second half of the season and probably a lot of other riders'. The race was being run by Doug Collins, famous Twickenham CC member and ex-pro rider, and he had chosen a brutally hard course that would certainly split the field of 86 starters to smithereens! I did a recce of the course last weekend in the rain and was in 39-26 on some sections. I was looking forward to it though as I am pretty good on the climbs and my stamina is good. It was also my Dad's birthday so I was extra motivated to do a good ride so as not to waste the day.  The race started with me skipping my chain on the first climb. I had to hop off and put it back on but was soon back in the bunch after a kilometre or so. My plan for the first part of the race was to sit back and conserve my energy. A break got away with a few dangerous riders, Erick Rowsell and Tim Kennaugh, but no one else so I knew they would be easy to ca...