Skip to main content

A Busy Start to the Year

I thought I had better update my blog. George has been quite prolific recently, albeit he has been doing slightly more interesting stuff (Beijing World Cup). Not that what I have been doing is boring at all. As soon as I was back from Scotland I managed to get out for a 4 hour ride as there was no snow, but managed to crash on some ice and tear up my hip- luckily that was all I damaged. More turbo, rollers, and gym work till Lanzarote!

Next up was a training camp in Lanzarote. I went out with Joe Perrett, Pete Dibben, James Astbury, and Phil Peters. It was a great camp, and a far cry from other training camps I have done in Newport bombing up and down dual carriageways. I went out to build up my base so I did 40 hours mostly at around 130-150 BPM heart rate but with a few intervals mixed in. The weather was perfect and the roads varied and exciting.

It was also the first time I've been out clubbing- pretty embarrassing. We got back in at 4 after what the other guys said was a crap night (none of us could speak Spanish), but I couldn't really judge. I was designated driver so I just drank water and danced for a while- trying out stuff I saw James Brown doing on Youtube. The others enjoyed a few beers and snogging some Columbian girls- I won't say who.
When I got back I had a recovery week as I was coming to the end of my 6 week block. This timed in quite nicely as my best friend from America came to London, so we had a chance to catch up without me having to try and fit in 4 hours of training. It was a pleasant reminder of what is to be a normal teenager for a week. I had to do a ramp test at the end of the week though- a painful reminder of being a cyclist! My power was up by 20 watts, but I felt shocking and my HR max was 15 Bpm slower than last year. Not sure what was wrong but probably fatigue. Somehow I gained 1.4 kilos so am now 73. Body fat is still the same though.

Very exciting day last Friday, Team launch! It was seriously cool seeing all the kit, sponsors, and press. I picked up my new 'training' bike, a Look 585 Origin. It handles so nice and looks really old school with the traditional shaped frame. I'll get some pictures up soon.
Next up is the Nice training Camp down in Stephen Roche's Hotel! Hopefully I will be going al-right and be able to absorb the workload, and not simply fodder myself.

Regards

Sandy

p.s. Next Blog I think will be a 'day in the life of' video

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Travels

July started well with my first half-decent race for months. I took part in the Guildford Town centre Criterium on Wednesday night. A tiny circuit featuring a patchy tarmac descent and a sharp cobbled climb with little in between. As soon as I started I realized there was no way I was going to keep up the sterling track record of cyclefit employees (Warwick) in the race. I got stronger as the race went on though and I didn't crash -always important as my confidence was pretty low. Jon Dibben did a great ride as per usual. I drove home optimistic that my season was turning around with my new pedalling technique (no pun intended). Next up in July was the Cyclefit Etape Trip. Me and Stuart (brother) drove the Clio down to Pau in the Pyrenees and met Jules and Konrad (or Konradiator as he later become known). Due to the efficiency of the French Motorways, we made it there pretty fresh and with only 3 speeding offences (2 in Bordeaux alone). Our first job was the Expo which involved ...

Lazy Blogging..

Hi guys, I apologize for not updating in a long time. It is always irritating when people have out of date websites. The excuse is that I have been pretty busy, and also quite disheartened about my cycling. But I think I have turned a new stone and now everything's smooth sailing...or riding perhaps. After my race in Singapore I had a couple of local races, and my knee just didn't hold up under pressure. It was buckling under the increased intensity and I was pretty upset after all the work I had done with my physio, and I thought after a good few months I was over it. This kept going on in a weekly cycle. I would train and condition my leg during the week and then be smashed in the races because I just couldn't put any power down. Needless to say my motivation kept declining, along with my fitness, for around 2 months After an awesome family holiday in Morocco (that can come in the next blog) and a serious discussion with my coach, its looking more positive. I think I may...

National Junior Road Championships

Yesterday was the National Junior Road Race championships, one of my main goals for this second half of the season and probably a lot of other riders'. The race was being run by Doug Collins, famous Twickenham CC member and ex-pro rider, and he had chosen a brutally hard course that would certainly split the field of 86 starters to smithereens! I did a recce of the course last weekend in the rain and was in 39-26 on some sections. I was looking forward to it though as I am pretty good on the climbs and my stamina is good. It was also my Dad's birthday so I was extra motivated to do a good ride so as not to waste the day.  The race started with me skipping my chain on the first climb. I had to hop off and put it back on but was soon back in the bunch after a kilometre or so. My plan for the first part of the race was to sit back and conserve my energy. A break got away with a few dangerous riders, Erick Rowsell and Tim Kennaugh, but no one else so I knew they would be easy to ca...