Skip to main content

Bike Invention Ideas from me and Stu

Hi Everyone,

Me and Stu were wondering if anyone had any constructive advice about our ideas. We had a long dicussion while trudging through the snow in Edinburgh. Have a read, hopefully you can stay awake:

1. This invention is to overcome some of the shortcomings of the mid arch cleat position (reduced sprint power). Your shoes would have two sets of cleats on them, one in the the mid arch and the other in the standard position. This way you could switch to mid arch for long climbs or solo efforts, and revert back to a more powerful sprint position for the accelerations and sprints (used in grand tours perhaps). The change in saddle height would have to be addressed. A prototype seat post could use a similar system to height adjustable crutches, with two settings (one standard one low). Later stages could use a handlebar triggered height change, but that would be complicated at the moment. The change in position may cause concern, but under consideration, the muscles used when climbing are dramatically different anyway to riding on the flat. You could also train in both positions.

2. This invention is to address leg and pelvic imbalances (training tool). It is a saddle that can rotate on an axis running from the front to the back. This way you would have to keep the pressure even on each sit bone to stop it tilting. There are many mechanisms of fixing the rotation, and also providing some degree of resistance to stop completely free tilt.

3. This invention is to improving knee tracking and determine optimum varus/valgus for wedges. It is a pedal that is shaped like ball on a tow bar. The cleat is a bearing race that attached around the ball (ball and socket). This would provide completely free free float and movement on the front to back axis. With a mirror the rider could tilt their feet to the point where their knee is aligned. Not only would you train your muscles to track correctly, but the optimum number of varus/valgus wedges could be determined by measuring the tilt. This is only a training tool to be used on the turbo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Travels

July started well with my first half-decent race for months. I took part in the Guildford Town centre Criterium on Wednesday night. A tiny circuit featuring a patchy tarmac descent and a sharp cobbled climb with little in between. As soon as I started I realized there was no way I was going to keep up the sterling track record of cyclefit employees (Warwick) in the race. I got stronger as the race went on though and I didn't crash -always important as my confidence was pretty low. Jon Dibben did a great ride as per usual. I drove home optimistic that my season was turning around with my new pedalling technique (no pun intended). Next up in July was the Cyclefit Etape Trip. Me and Stuart (brother) drove the Clio down to Pau in the Pyrenees and met Jules and Konrad (or Konradiator as he later become known). Due to the efficiency of the French Motorways, we made it there pretty fresh and with only 3 speeding offences (2 in Bordeaux alone). Our first job was the Expo which involved ...

Lazy Blogging..

Hi guys, I apologize for not updating in a long time. It is always irritating when people have out of date websites. The excuse is that I have been pretty busy, and also quite disheartened about my cycling. But I think I have turned a new stone and now everything's smooth sailing...or riding perhaps. After my race in Singapore I had a couple of local races, and my knee just didn't hold up under pressure. It was buckling under the increased intensity and I was pretty upset after all the work I had done with my physio, and I thought after a good few months I was over it. This kept going on in a weekly cycle. I would train and condition my leg during the week and then be smashed in the races because I just couldn't put any power down. Needless to say my motivation kept declining, along with my fitness, for around 2 months After an awesome family holiday in Morocco (that can come in the next blog) and a serious discussion with my coach, its looking more positive. I think I may...

National Junior Road Championships

Yesterday was the National Junior Road Race championships, one of my main goals for this second half of the season and probably a lot of other riders'. The race was being run by Doug Collins, famous Twickenham CC member and ex-pro rider, and he had chosen a brutally hard course that would certainly split the field of 86 starters to smithereens! I did a recce of the course last weekend in the rain and was in 39-26 on some sections. I was looking forward to it though as I am pretty good on the climbs and my stamina is good. It was also my Dad's birthday so I was extra motivated to do a good ride so as not to waste the day.  The race started with me skipping my chain on the first climb. I had to hop off and put it back on but was soon back in the bunch after a kilometre or so. My plan for the first part of the race was to sit back and conserve my energy. A break got away with a few dangerous riders, Erick Rowsell and Tim Kennaugh, but no one else so I knew they would be easy to ca...