Skip to main content

Euro Road Champs

After a bad race last weekend, I hoped to make up for it at Euros. It was held in Hooglede Belgium and was 140k, consisting of 40k straight then 8 finishing circuits. I prepared well with lots of recovery and was ready for the start in Oostende- but pretty nervous. We had a good team as well with Joe Perrett- who won the Euro time trial!, George Atkins, Sam Harrison, Tim Kennaugh, Pete Dibben, and Jon Mould (an me).

It turned out to be a strange race. I crashed about 10k and managed to smash my head so hard that I have lost all my memory from the crash to about 60k in! Joe Perrett (European Time trial Champion!) thinks that I tried to bunny hop a roundabout and mistimed it. That pretty embarrassing considering I'm supposed to be doing mountain bike too! I must have just been on autopilot for 40k. Apparently I was asking Pete were I was and kept forgetting stuff- weird!

Anyway I finally started getting my head together with 3 laps to go and decided I needed to cover all the moves. Darren, our team director, kept shouting for us to work for George Atkins, so I marked all the moves in the last 2 laps so that he could do something in the sprint. I felt really good! My form must be coming along nicely. Coming into the finish I was looking for George so I could lead him out but I couldn't find him. I ended up 32nd, two places behind George as we were too far back going into the sprint. I think the reason we didn't get a good result was lack of communication. It turned out George was cramping with 3 laps to go, so it might have been better if I had tried to go with the moves in the last laps rather than simply nullifying them.
This picture is me on the front on the last lap. I have good morale now because if my form is coming along nicely after what seems like ages of suffering like a dog! Hopefully I can convert this to a good result in my mtb races coming up, including the national champs in innerleithen. Then build on that so that I am super fast for Tour of Wales!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Travels

July started well with my first half-decent race for months. I took part in the Guildford Town centre Criterium on Wednesday night. A tiny circuit featuring a patchy tarmac descent and a sharp cobbled climb with little in between. As soon as I started I realized there was no way I was going to keep up the sterling track record of cyclefit employees (Warwick) in the race. I got stronger as the race went on though and I didn't crash -always important as my confidence was pretty low. Jon Dibben did a great ride as per usual. I drove home optimistic that my season was turning around with my new pedalling technique (no pun intended). Next up in July was the Cyclefit Etape Trip. Me and Stuart (brother) drove the Clio down to Pau in the Pyrenees and met Jules and Konrad (or Konradiator as he later become known). Due to the efficiency of the French Motorways, we made it there pretty fresh and with only 3 speeding offences (2 in Bordeaux alone). Our first job was the Expo which involved ...

Lazy Blogging..

Hi guys, I apologize for not updating in a long time. It is always irritating when people have out of date websites. The excuse is that I have been pretty busy, and also quite disheartened about my cycling. But I think I have turned a new stone and now everything's smooth sailing...or riding perhaps. After my race in Singapore I had a couple of local races, and my knee just didn't hold up under pressure. It was buckling under the increased intensity and I was pretty upset after all the work I had done with my physio, and I thought after a good few months I was over it. This kept going on in a weekly cycle. I would train and condition my leg during the week and then be smashed in the races because I just couldn't put any power down. Needless to say my motivation kept declining, along with my fitness, for around 2 months After an awesome family holiday in Morocco (that can come in the next blog) and a serious discussion with my coach, its looking more positive. I think I may...

National Junior Road Championships

Yesterday was the National Junior Road Race championships, one of my main goals for this second half of the season and probably a lot of other riders'. The race was being run by Doug Collins, famous Twickenham CC member and ex-pro rider, and he had chosen a brutally hard course that would certainly split the field of 86 starters to smithereens! I did a recce of the course last weekend in the rain and was in 39-26 on some sections. I was looking forward to it though as I am pretty good on the climbs and my stamina is good. It was also my Dad's birthday so I was extra motivated to do a good ride so as not to waste the day.  The race started with me skipping my chain on the first climb. I had to hop off and put it back on but was soon back in the bunch after a kilometre or so. My plan for the first part of the race was to sit back and conserve my energy. A break got away with a few dangerous riders, Erick Rowsell and Tim Kennaugh, but no one else so I knew they would be easy to ca...