Skip to main content

Crash! National XC champs unlikely

Bad news- I was training by myself in Innerleithen doing the xc trail yesterday and managed to fall off. I was just coming down the descent after the summit and I was caught by surprise by one of the bigger jumps. I didn't lift my front wheel up enough and I did a bit of a nose dive and face planted the ground. I also whacked my shoulder. 

I was a bit worried about what I should do as I was by myself (stupid!) and my face was bleeding everywhere and my shoulder was in agony. I rolled down the rest of the trail until I hit a fire road which I followed around the mountain to Walkerburn. At Walkerburn I managed to bump into some guys who worked at a chemical engineering plant who took me to the clinic at Innerleithen. They stitched my face up while my aunt and Granddad collected me. I still had a lot of pain in my shoulder so we went to the Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh but luckily it is only severe bruising and some lightly torn ligaments. That should heal quickly.

Racing wise I don't think the national champs is very likely, but there is a slim chance. The trouble is I need to have full control over the technical sections (of which there are a lot) so I would probably crash again. I should be able to train again very soon though- at least on the turbo or maybe the road.

I will try and put up a few pictures of my ugly face soon. My black eye is pretty impressive. Well done to the track guys in Belarus at the moment who got silver in the Team Pursuit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Travels

July started well with my first half-decent race for months. I took part in the Guildford Town centre Criterium on Wednesday night. A tiny circuit featuring a patchy tarmac descent and a sharp cobbled climb with little in between. As soon as I started I realized there was no way I was going to keep up the sterling track record of cyclefit employees (Warwick) in the race. I got stronger as the race went on though and I didn't crash -always important as my confidence was pretty low. Jon Dibben did a great ride as per usual. I drove home optimistic that my season was turning around with my new pedalling technique (no pun intended). Next up in July was the Cyclefit Etape Trip. Me and Stuart (brother) drove the Clio down to Pau in the Pyrenees and met Jules and Konrad (or Konradiator as he later become known). Due to the efficiency of the French Motorways, we made it there pretty fresh and with only 3 speeding offences (2 in Bordeaux alone). Our first job was the Expo which involved ...

Lazy Blogging..

Hi guys, I apologize for not updating in a long time. It is always irritating when people have out of date websites. The excuse is that I have been pretty busy, and also quite disheartened about my cycling. But I think I have turned a new stone and now everything's smooth sailing...or riding perhaps. After my race in Singapore I had a couple of local races, and my knee just didn't hold up under pressure. It was buckling under the increased intensity and I was pretty upset after all the work I had done with my physio, and I thought after a good few months I was over it. This kept going on in a weekly cycle. I would train and condition my leg during the week and then be smashed in the races because I just couldn't put any power down. Needless to say my motivation kept declining, along with my fitness, for around 2 months After an awesome family holiday in Morocco (that can come in the next blog) and a serious discussion with my coach, its looking more positive. I think I may...

National Junior Road Championships

Yesterday was the National Junior Road Race championships, one of my main goals for this second half of the season and probably a lot of other riders'. The race was being run by Doug Collins, famous Twickenham CC member and ex-pro rider, and he had chosen a brutally hard course that would certainly split the field of 86 starters to smithereens! I did a recce of the course last weekend in the rain and was in 39-26 on some sections. I was looking forward to it though as I am pretty good on the climbs and my stamina is good. It was also my Dad's birthday so I was extra motivated to do a good ride so as not to waste the day.  The race started with me skipping my chain on the first climb. I had to hop off and put it back on but was soon back in the bunch after a kilometre or so. My plan for the first part of the race was to sit back and conserve my energy. A break got away with a few dangerous riders, Erick Rowsell and Tim Kennaugh, but no one else so I knew they would be easy to ca...