Skip to main content

Catching Up after Hog Hill

Sorry for the slow posting. I have had my first 2 exams this week so blogging is not key priority. I had Hog Hill Junior GP last weekend. Theoretically it should have suited me great- 80km and 40 times up a pretty hard power climb. I also had my own domestique de-luxe- 75 kilos of raw Stuart Power. It may be around 74 kilos though as he spent an hour shaving matts of hair into the sink. I won't include pictures of that.

After a good warm up the race started. Stu went for an attack about 3 laps in but got pulled back. About 10 laps in the race just turned into a dogfight and I spent 30 laps in agony. Between then and the finish my legs gave out and Joe rode off the front. I finished 7th. My form isn't the best at the moment- I just feel quite tired. There are quite a lot of photos on the website- www.hoghilljgp.org They are heavily weighted towards Joe which I suppose is fair considering he won, but lets be honest, everyone likes looking at pictures of themselves racing. Watch the video- George Atkins's Dad has a bit of commentary. Joe's race was good but his celebration was abysmal!



Anyway I am still 2nd in the National Series standings behind Peter Dibben. I should be able to haul back lots of points at the Tour of Wales though. My form will be better then as I don't have exams.

This next week is a training camp in Newport which should be good. Then I'm flying up for the elite edinburgh nocturne. I don't really know what to expect. I could get absolutely hammered by the likes of David Millar but I might suprise myself. We'll see!

Comments

  1. haul back points? not oh so likely jus cos it has a big hill in it sandy ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Travels

July started well with my first half-decent race for months. I took part in the Guildford Town centre Criterium on Wednesday night. A tiny circuit featuring a patchy tarmac descent and a sharp cobbled climb with little in between. As soon as I started I realized there was no way I was going to keep up the sterling track record of cyclefit employees (Warwick) in the race. I got stronger as the race went on though and I didn't crash -always important as my confidence was pretty low. Jon Dibben did a great ride as per usual. I drove home optimistic that my season was turning around with my new pedalling technique (no pun intended). Next up in July was the Cyclefit Etape Trip. Me and Stuart (brother) drove the Clio down to Pau in the Pyrenees and met Jules and Konrad (or Konradiator as he later become known). Due to the efficiency of the French Motorways, we made it there pretty fresh and with only 3 speeding offences (2 in Bordeaux alone). Our first job was the Expo which involved ...

Lazy Blogging..

Hi guys, I apologize for not updating in a long time. It is always irritating when people have out of date websites. The excuse is that I have been pretty busy, and also quite disheartened about my cycling. But I think I have turned a new stone and now everything's smooth sailing...or riding perhaps. After my race in Singapore I had a couple of local races, and my knee just didn't hold up under pressure. It was buckling under the increased intensity and I was pretty upset after all the work I had done with my physio, and I thought after a good few months I was over it. This kept going on in a weekly cycle. I would train and condition my leg during the week and then be smashed in the races because I just couldn't put any power down. Needless to say my motivation kept declining, along with my fitness, for around 2 months After an awesome family holiday in Morocco (that can come in the next blog) and a serious discussion with my coach, its looking more positive. I think I may...

National Junior Road Championships

Yesterday was the National Junior Road Race championships, one of my main goals for this second half of the season and probably a lot of other riders'. The race was being run by Doug Collins, famous Twickenham CC member and ex-pro rider, and he had chosen a brutally hard course that would certainly split the field of 86 starters to smithereens! I did a recce of the course last weekend in the rain and was in 39-26 on some sections. I was looking forward to it though as I am pretty good on the climbs and my stamina is good. It was also my Dad's birthday so I was extra motivated to do a good ride so as not to waste the day.  The race started with me skipping my chain on the first climb. I had to hop off and put it back on but was soon back in the bunch after a kilometre or so. My plan for the first part of the race was to sit back and conserve my energy. A break got away with a few dangerous riders, Erick Rowsell and Tim Kennaugh, but no one else so I knew they would be easy to ca...