Skip to main content

Thames Velo Road Race + Roubaix Selection

Last Week started good just after my win. Morale was high, but legs were very tired! Went out for a long ride Wednesday and could still feel it. The Maidenhead time trial on Thursday night felt far worse than the final climb at Cadence! That horrible muscular fatigue that you get and you can't get your Heart Rate up. I must have dug pretty deep on those Welsh Climbs.

I also got news about my selection for Junior Paris Roubaix. The race runs the same day as the pros and passes over most of the cobbles around 2 hours before. Check out the website- http://asso.nordnet.fr/veloclubroubaix/prxjun.html  We arrive in Roubaix at 2:30. My team mates are Dan Mclay, George Atkins, Sam Harrison, and Pete Dibben.

I had a fun session on Calshot Track on Saturday with my club, Twickenham CC. Calshot is a great track as its only 150 metres round so you pick up some real g-force. We did a few short races and lots of skills. It was a good leg refresher for the Thames Velo Race. It was Stuarts first time on the track as well. He looked pretty good and was able to do a race at the end. We went for a dip in the sea afterwards. It was cold!

Sunday was Thames Velo Road Race up near Watlington. We had a good Twickenham turnout. Tom Sutherland got 4th in the 3/4th race. Ride of the day though went to Dave Peck. After doing the track session yesterday rode all the way out from London to watch and support the 3/4 race and the E/1/2 race. It must have taken the best part of 5-6 hours riding. What a great Chairman! Dad was also there to video the race. I don't think race was easy to video simply due to the speed.


The race itself didn't suit my characteristics as it wasn't a very hard course due to the glorious weather. There was one small climb but not really enough to split the bunch. I kept persisting throughout the race but Simon Gaywood took the spoils in the bunch sprint to the line (I was at the rear of the bunch). I did 2 hours afterwards riding home including sprints so I should be set up for Roubaix! Had an ice bath then watched 2 hours of Flanders. My tip Flecha was pretty poor.

Legs are stupidly sore today but can't really expect much else! I have put down my upcoming races on the right. Its a bit lacking in racing miles but I have to miss all the GB stage races because of exams!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Travels

July started well with my first half-decent race for months. I took part in the Guildford Town centre Criterium on Wednesday night. A tiny circuit featuring a patchy tarmac descent and a sharp cobbled climb with little in between. As soon as I started I realized there was no way I was going to keep up the sterling track record of cyclefit employees (Warwick) in the race. I got stronger as the race went on though and I didn't crash -always important as my confidence was pretty low. Jon Dibben did a great ride as per usual. I drove home optimistic that my season was turning around with my new pedalling technique (no pun intended). Next up in July was the Cyclefit Etape Trip. Me and Stuart (brother) drove the Clio down to Pau in the Pyrenees and met Jules and Konrad (or Konradiator as he later become known). Due to the efficiency of the French Motorways, we made it there pretty fresh and with only 3 speeding offences (2 in Bordeaux alone). Our first job was the Expo which involved ...

Lazy Blogging..

Hi guys, I apologize for not updating in a long time. It is always irritating when people have out of date websites. The excuse is that I have been pretty busy, and also quite disheartened about my cycling. But I think I have turned a new stone and now everything's smooth sailing...or riding perhaps. After my race in Singapore I had a couple of local races, and my knee just didn't hold up under pressure. It was buckling under the increased intensity and I was pretty upset after all the work I had done with my physio, and I thought after a good few months I was over it. This kept going on in a weekly cycle. I would train and condition my leg during the week and then be smashed in the races because I just couldn't put any power down. Needless to say my motivation kept declining, along with my fitness, for around 2 months After an awesome family holiday in Morocco (that can come in the next blog) and a serious discussion with my coach, its looking more positive. I think I may...

National Junior Road Championships

Yesterday was the National Junior Road Race championships, one of my main goals for this second half of the season and probably a lot of other riders'. The race was being run by Doug Collins, famous Twickenham CC member and ex-pro rider, and he had chosen a brutally hard course that would certainly split the field of 86 starters to smithereens! I did a recce of the course last weekend in the rain and was in 39-26 on some sections. I was looking forward to it though as I am pretty good on the climbs and my stamina is good. It was also my Dad's birthday so I was extra motivated to do a good ride so as not to waste the day.  The race started with me skipping my chain on the first climb. I had to hop off and put it back on but was soon back in the bunch after a kilometre or so. My plan for the first part of the race was to sit back and conserve my energy. A break got away with a few dangerous riders, Erick Rowsell and Tim Kennaugh, but no one else so I knew they would be easy to ca...