Skip to main content

New Bike! Cyclocross Nationals and Revolutions

Revolution went OK. Didn't get any good results as was fannying around at the back but found it fun. I picked up my bike though! I had to keep it in its box all weekend till I got home. AN exercise of deprivation. When I unpacked it I was practically wetting my pants with excitement. The Pictures below were taken the day I made it up. I haven't taken it on the road yet as it is too wet at the moment.

The only mods I will do for the season are a 140mm Deda Newton Stem and some Pro Vibe 7s Bars. I worry about using carbon ones. Plus I can sell it more easily at the end of the year if they are not broken. The Bontrager saddle is pretty comfy and the new dura ace is delicious.

I had cross nationals on the Sunday and started at the back of the grid. This was my first cross race for about 2 years (the last one I got smashed by an U14). I was running just about top 10  after 2 laps then crashed on a tarmac section and lost 4 places! I couldn't regain them and I ended up 13th. My bike handling was pretty shocking but what can I expect with no experience! My legs were pretty slow too. My goal was to beat Joe Perrett who started beside on the start line racing in tights! He beat me easily though.
My Form at the moment is really bad. I feel really tired during my efforts. I am resting a fair amount and eating plenty so not sure. Maybe I am just really really unfit but I don't think so. Hopefully it will resolve itself by the end of March. Thats my first important race - Cadence RR in Wales (previously Martyn Ashfield). I will keep training as I am not sick. THe new ODP coach is Rob Sharman. Maybe he will no how to kick start my legs.

I have officially joined Twickenham so the GWR skinsuit that I crashed in at the nationals will no longer have to be worn. The kit is pretty conservative but nice and should match my bike pretty good (the most important part). The colours in the pictures beside are more like navy blue.

Exams are going good. My mechanics exam went pretty well and my History was short and sweet. Hopefully there will be no surprises come March. I still have C4, FP1, and S2 to go (all maths). 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Travels

July started well with my first half-decent race for months. I took part in the Guildford Town centre Criterium on Wednesday night. A tiny circuit featuring a patchy tarmac descent and a sharp cobbled climb with little in between. As soon as I started I realized there was no way I was going to keep up the sterling track record of cyclefit employees (Warwick) in the race. I got stronger as the race went on though and I didn't crash -always important as my confidence was pretty low. Jon Dibben did a great ride as per usual. I drove home optimistic that my season was turning around with my new pedalling technique (no pun intended). Next up in July was the Cyclefit Etape Trip. Me and Stuart (brother) drove the Clio down to Pau in the Pyrenees and met Jules and Konrad (or Konradiator as he later become known). Due to the efficiency of the French Motorways, we made it there pretty fresh and with only 3 speeding offences (2 in Bordeaux alone). Our first job was the Expo which involved ...

Lazy Blogging..

Hi guys, I apologize for not updating in a long time. It is always irritating when people have out of date websites. The excuse is that I have been pretty busy, and also quite disheartened about my cycling. But I think I have turned a new stone and now everything's smooth sailing...or riding perhaps. After my race in Singapore I had a couple of local races, and my knee just didn't hold up under pressure. It was buckling under the increased intensity and I was pretty upset after all the work I had done with my physio, and I thought after a good few months I was over it. This kept going on in a weekly cycle. I would train and condition my leg during the week and then be smashed in the races because I just couldn't put any power down. Needless to say my motivation kept declining, along with my fitness, for around 2 months After an awesome family holiday in Morocco (that can come in the next blog) and a serious discussion with my coach, its looking more positive. I think I may...

National Junior Road Championships

Yesterday was the National Junior Road Race championships, one of my main goals for this second half of the season and probably a lot of other riders'. The race was being run by Doug Collins, famous Twickenham CC member and ex-pro rider, and he had chosen a brutally hard course that would certainly split the field of 86 starters to smithereens! I did a recce of the course last weekend in the rain and was in 39-26 on some sections. I was looking forward to it though as I am pretty good on the climbs and my stamina is good. It was also my Dad's birthday so I was extra motivated to do a good ride so as not to waste the day.  The race started with me skipping my chain on the first climb. I had to hop off and put it back on but was soon back in the bunch after a kilometre or so. My plan for the first part of the race was to sit back and conserve my energy. A break got away with a few dangerous riders, Erick Rowsell and Tim Kennaugh, but no one else so I knew they would be easy to ca...