Skip to main content

Hill Climb's Part 2 and Start of Winter Training

The weekend after the Catford and Bec CC hill climbs I did a 60 mile Surrey League RR at Ottershaw. I was pretty up for the race and desperately wanted a win for the season. I attacked loads and bridged across to every break but it all came together as nothing would stick. I was shattered coming in to the finish after my attacks and did poorly in the sprint. It was my first proper race on my Sigma so the position felt a bit different to my giant but it was ok. My legs felt pretty good.

The next weekend I had the National Hill Climb Champs up in Matlock. We went up a few days before for a half term break and got to see some of the peak district. 

The day before I did a recce of the course. It was brutal! The road was so poorly engineered. It just went straight up.

On race day I started off slow on my first split but picked up towards the end. I probably could have gone faster by shifting up a few gears at the finish and sprinting instead of sitting in the saddle. The two guernsey riders beat me as well as a Hill Climb specialist Adam Pinder. It was a consolation though that the guernsey riders didn't even finish the national RR. I really need to work on my anaerobic power!

I will put a video of the race up soon but my dad is processing it.

Afterwards I had an ODP selection camp in Bakewell. I was quietly confident as I hadn't had any time totally of the bike as I had to go to physio appointments and such like. I was in better form than everybody else which made me very happy after being beaten in the hill climb last Sunday. I wasn't crap, just my anaerobic power. I will be doing lots of 2-3 minute all out intervals when I am coming into the season.

Simon Yates and Ben Dunn stood out as the strongest riders out of the bunch (excluding ODP). I don't know whether it means much though as it is november. A few people were out with race wheels and bikes for that extra edge. Selection camps are pretty strange.

I headed up to edinburgh to see my Grandparents. I did a mtb ride around Glentress which was great fun but a bit cold (it was snowing at the top). My descending was abysmal.

The next weekend I did a mtb race for fun (it is off season). I rode the sport section and won! Hooray. It was very muddy by the time we went round. My lap times were similar to the experts so I will go into that category next time. I really enjoyed it so I think I will do mountain biking early season.

picture- http://www.flickr.com/photos/joolzed/2999381270/in/set-72157608615941174/


That makes 2 wins this season. 1 mtb race, and my school cross country race, that I totally dominated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Travels

July started well with my first half-decent race for months. I took part in the Guildford Town centre Criterium on Wednesday night. A tiny circuit featuring a patchy tarmac descent and a sharp cobbled climb with little in between. As soon as I started I realized there was no way I was going to keep up the sterling track record of cyclefit employees (Warwick) in the race. I got stronger as the race went on though and I didn't crash -always important as my confidence was pretty low. Jon Dibben did a great ride as per usual. I drove home optimistic that my season was turning around with my new pedalling technique (no pun intended). Next up in July was the Cyclefit Etape Trip. Me and Stuart (brother) drove the Clio down to Pau in the Pyrenees and met Jules and Konrad (or Konradiator as he later become known). Due to the efficiency of the French Motorways, we made it there pretty fresh and with only 3 speeding offences (2 in Bordeaux alone). Our first job was the Expo which involved ...

Lazy Blogging..

Hi guys, I apologize for not updating in a long time. It is always irritating when people have out of date websites. The excuse is that I have been pretty busy, and also quite disheartened about my cycling. But I think I have turned a new stone and now everything's smooth sailing...or riding perhaps. After my race in Singapore I had a couple of local races, and my knee just didn't hold up under pressure. It was buckling under the increased intensity and I was pretty upset after all the work I had done with my physio, and I thought after a good few months I was over it. This kept going on in a weekly cycle. I would train and condition my leg during the week and then be smashed in the races because I just couldn't put any power down. Needless to say my motivation kept declining, along with my fitness, for around 2 months After an awesome family holiday in Morocco (that can come in the next blog) and a serious discussion with my coach, its looking more positive. I think I may...

National Junior Road Championships

Yesterday was the National Junior Road Race championships, one of my main goals for this second half of the season and probably a lot of other riders'. The race was being run by Doug Collins, famous Twickenham CC member and ex-pro rider, and he had chosen a brutally hard course that would certainly split the field of 86 starters to smithereens! I did a recce of the course last weekend in the rain and was in 39-26 on some sections. I was looking forward to it though as I am pretty good on the climbs and my stamina is good. It was also my Dad's birthday so I was extra motivated to do a good ride so as not to waste the day.  The race started with me skipping my chain on the first climb. I had to hop off and put it back on but was soon back in the bunch after a kilometre or so. My plan for the first part of the race was to sit back and conserve my energy. A break got away with a few dangerous riders, Erick Rowsell and Tim Kennaugh, but no one else so I knew they would be easy to ca...