Skip to main content

First Blog- July so far

I have set up this blog site to help anyone who is interested in seeing how I am doing with my cycling and what kind of stuff I am up to.

This last month of July has been good for racing but also pretty relaxing. I took part in the European Junior Road Race Championships held in Arona, Italy. I arrived Thursday 3rd for the Race on the 6th. The weather for the 2 days preceding the race was beautiful at around 30 degrees however come the Sunday, the heavens opened.  
4 hours of heavy rain and thunderstorms coincided with our 9 am start time and as we were lining up, we were all already soaked and shivering. We started at the back so I spent the first half lap moving to the front. It was pretty crazy as most people couldn't see (I was alright with my new glasses), and were swerving everywhere. The course had a big climb in and as we hit it my legs started to feel pretty poor. To add to my problems my back brake pulled through making the technical descents interesting for the rest of the race.
With just my front brake I was losing time on the descents and having to chase back on on the flat. I managed to get to the front a few times but didn't have the legs to do much. Coming into the last lap of the 130 k race, I was still in the severely reduced peleton however I managed to skip my chain on the last climb so I had to chase back on. I watched a ukrainian go straight into a ravine in front of me so I kept it steady knowing I was out of the race.
Luke Rowe did a great ride coming 2nd (a frenchman won it) with some help from Mark. I was pretty useless and the other guys all crashed out or had mechanicals. I ended up 60th, 3 minutes down on the leaders.
For the next week I got to have a desperately needed rest week which I spent fixing bikes and catching up on schoolwork I had to do. I also started driving now that I am 17 in my tasteful Nissan Micra.

I did Hillingdon on Tuesday 15th after doing a long training ride in the morning. I felt ok though and managed to get away in the closing laps with 7 other guys. I was planning on counter- attacking Colin Roshier's move however he never came back and I came 3rd in the sprint. At least 4th is an improvement of 45th that I got last time I rode.

This weekend I am doing a race over in Belgium. I am not sure which one but it will be in West Flanders. The following weekend I will be over in Germany for the Junior Rundfahrt stage race with the GB team (http://www.international-eniedersachsen-rundfahrt.com/html/rundfahrt_2006.html).  Then its Belgium again and the National Road Race Championships which is one of my main goals.

This evening though I have got a 18.2 mile time trial down in Chertsey which should be painful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Travels

July started well with my first half-decent race for months. I took part in the Guildford Town centre Criterium on Wednesday night. A tiny circuit featuring a patchy tarmac descent and a sharp cobbled climb with little in between. As soon as I started I realized there was no way I was going to keep up the sterling track record of cyclefit employees (Warwick) in the race. I got stronger as the race went on though and I didn't crash -always important as my confidence was pretty low. Jon Dibben did a great ride as per usual. I drove home optimistic that my season was turning around with my new pedalling technique (no pun intended). Next up in July was the Cyclefit Etape Trip. Me and Stuart (brother) drove the Clio down to Pau in the Pyrenees and met Jules and Konrad (or Konradiator as he later become known). Due to the efficiency of the French Motorways, we made it there pretty fresh and with only 3 speeding offences (2 in Bordeaux alone). Our first job was the Expo which involved ...

Lazy Blogging..

Hi guys, I apologize for not updating in a long time. It is always irritating when people have out of date websites. The excuse is that I have been pretty busy, and also quite disheartened about my cycling. But I think I have turned a new stone and now everything's smooth sailing...or riding perhaps. After my race in Singapore I had a couple of local races, and my knee just didn't hold up under pressure. It was buckling under the increased intensity and I was pretty upset after all the work I had done with my physio, and I thought after a good few months I was over it. This kept going on in a weekly cycle. I would train and condition my leg during the week and then be smashed in the races because I just couldn't put any power down. Needless to say my motivation kept declining, along with my fitness, for around 2 months After an awesome family holiday in Morocco (that can come in the next blog) and a serious discussion with my coach, its looking more positive. I think I may...

National Junior Road Championships

Yesterday was the National Junior Road Race championships, one of my main goals for this second half of the season and probably a lot of other riders'. The race was being run by Doug Collins, famous Twickenham CC member and ex-pro rider, and he had chosen a brutally hard course that would certainly split the field of 86 starters to smithereens! I did a recce of the course last weekend in the rain and was in 39-26 on some sections. I was looking forward to it though as I am pretty good on the climbs and my stamina is good. It was also my Dad's birthday so I was extra motivated to do a good ride so as not to waste the day.  The race started with me skipping my chain on the first climb. I had to hop off and put it back on but was soon back in the bunch after a kilometre or so. My plan for the first part of the race was to sit back and conserve my energy. A break got away with a few dangerous riders, Erick Rowsell and Tim Kennaugh, but no one else so I knew they would be easy to ca...