Skip to main content

Junior Paris Roubaix! Came 11th Sorry for the Delay

First of all as a taster have a look at the pictures on the official website: There are some good ones of me 'suffering majorly' on the pave, as Sean Kelly would say.


Me and my brother went for a 1 hour spin in the rain on Friday morning. I was feeling a bit tired after a harder day yesterday (1:30 ride + roller session), but very excited. Bumped into fellow TCC member Briand up in the park which was nice as haven't spoken in ages. We travelled to Folkestone in the afternoon but not without a few hiccups. At lunch I managed to slice my finger open with the bread knife.

On the Saturday we drove to the hotel in France and had lunch with the French, Italians, and Belgians. It was just normal stuff like bread and pasta, no crazy surprises. We then went for a 1 hour practice ride over the pave. I took a few pictures of my bike prepped for the ride. All of GB rode Bontrager race x lites with vittoria pave tyres on. I did a few efforts over the cobbles and the double bar tape felt good. I had to tilt my saddle up a bit to stop me sliding forwards. Spent the afternoon chilling in the room doing stretches and stuff. The French were getting massages naked in the hotel lobby, not pleasant. After listening to my Ultimate Cyclist hypnosis track, I had a nervous night's sleep. Not even Levi's shrink can calm nerves before roubaix.

Dan and the GB van preparing for the ride


Bike pre-Saturday Ride
Breakfast was awesome. Luc De Wilde the soigneur made some stuff called Belgian Muck. The exact details are secret but basically he mixes a load of Weetabix, nutella, soy milk, dates, bananas, honey, and other stuff into a big bowl the night before and puts it in the fridge overnight. I had lots of it but it fills you up pretty quick.

The start was in Amand- les- Eaux. I was pretty excited as my hypnosis cd last night obviously worked. My calves were bigger than ever and I had my lucky socks on which boosted morale. My training was good after lots of long races and I wasn't sick. No excuses!

Finally the race! Basically I stayed at or near the front for all the Pave sectors and found myself in the 3rd group coming into the finish. There was a belgian who was way ahead but the 2nd group were only 10 seconds ahead at some places. I wanted a podium so tried to bridge across but wasn't able to. I was pretty stuffed for the sprint after my bridging efforts, but what's the difference between 11th and 7th in the big picture?

My family was there to watch and my Dad got some video:



Nobody on the team had any punctures or mechanicals. I had a few problems. I missed my mussette at the feed and had to take a German one, which had some nasty drinks in. I kept them but then one bottle bounced out, so I had no drink for the last 30k. It wasn't too bad though cause I didn't cramp. My bar tape looked pretty epic with blood all over it. Not from my many blisters but from my bread knife injury opening up.

Pete's and my bike post race
I got interviewed by cycling weekly then watched the pro race go by. Hammond was unlucky to miss the split but hey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Travels

July started well with my first half-decent race for months. I took part in the Guildford Town centre Criterium on Wednesday night. A tiny circuit featuring a patchy tarmac descent and a sharp cobbled climb with little in between. As soon as I started I realized there was no way I was going to keep up the sterling track record of cyclefit employees (Warwick) in the race. I got stronger as the race went on though and I didn't crash -always important as my confidence was pretty low. Jon Dibben did a great ride as per usual. I drove home optimistic that my season was turning around with my new pedalling technique (no pun intended). Next up in July was the Cyclefit Etape Trip. Me and Stuart (brother) drove the Clio down to Pau in the Pyrenees and met Jules and Konrad (or Konradiator as he later become known). Due to the efficiency of the French Motorways, we made it there pretty fresh and with only 3 speeding offences (2 in Bordeaux alone). Our first job was the Expo which involved ...

Lazy Blogging..

Hi guys, I apologize for not updating in a long time. It is always irritating when people have out of date websites. The excuse is that I have been pretty busy, and also quite disheartened about my cycling. But I think I have turned a new stone and now everything's smooth sailing...or riding perhaps. After my race in Singapore I had a couple of local races, and my knee just didn't hold up under pressure. It was buckling under the increased intensity and I was pretty upset after all the work I had done with my physio, and I thought after a good few months I was over it. This kept going on in a weekly cycle. I would train and condition my leg during the week and then be smashed in the races because I just couldn't put any power down. Needless to say my motivation kept declining, along with my fitness, for around 2 months After an awesome family holiday in Morocco (that can come in the next blog) and a serious discussion with my coach, its looking more positive. I think I may...

National Junior Road Championships

Yesterday was the National Junior Road Race championships, one of my main goals for this second half of the season and probably a lot of other riders'. The race was being run by Doug Collins, famous Twickenham CC member and ex-pro rider, and he had chosen a brutally hard course that would certainly split the field of 86 starters to smithereens! I did a recce of the course last weekend in the rain and was in 39-26 on some sections. I was looking forward to it though as I am pretty good on the climbs and my stamina is good. It was also my Dad's birthday so I was extra motivated to do a good ride so as not to waste the day.  The race started with me skipping my chain on the first climb. I had to hop off and put it back on but was soon back in the bunch after a kilometre or so. My plan for the first part of the race was to sit back and conserve my energy. A break got away with a few dangerous riders, Erick Rowsell and Tim Kennaugh, but no one else so I knew they would be easy to ca...